The University grants paid sick leave to all faculty members, regular full-time, regular part-time and extended temporary employees. Full-time employees accrue 4.62 hours per pay period (if they are in pay status for the entire pay period), while part-time employees earn an amount based on the percentage of full-time hours they work per pay period.
Employees may use sick leave for those hours they are regularly scheduled to work. If their sick leave balance is exhausted, eligible sick leave hours will be deducted from annual leave. If all leave is exhausted, employees may be eligible for the Leave Share Program or leave without pay.
Sick leave may be taken for a variety of reasons:
- Illness or medical condition
- An appointment with a doctor or dentist
- Emergency care for members of your immediate family
- Childbirth (by you or your spouse) or newborn adopted child
- Adoption of a minor if required by the adoption process
Employees must notify their immediate supervisor within the first hour of the normally
scheduled work day (exceptions may be made in emergency situations). An absence due
to an illness may require a physician’s note or other verification.
University employees may use accrued sick leave for different types of bereavement leave:
- An absence within five days after the death of an immediate family member
- Up to five consecutive work days to arrange or attend the funeral of an immediate family member;
- Up to one work day to attend the funeral of a friend or relative not in the immediate family. An employee may use up to ten days of sick leave after the death of an immediate family member: for absences within five days after the death of an immediate family member and/or for up to five days to arrange or attend the funeral (at any time). Immediate family member is defined in R04.06.130.A.2.
More information can be found in the Bereavement FAQs.
This leave is no longer available after September 30, 2021.