Skip to main content
Roles and Responsibilities R.05.02.060(3)
- Responsible for complying with department and university policies and regulations,
exercising good stewardship of university funds
- Obtain prior authorization for travel
- Select the lowest‐price fare/cost within the bounds of the most efficient mode
- Pay costs and any additional expenses incurred for personal preference or convenience
- Verify that all travel arrangements are confirmed prior to departure
- Notify appropriate contact when there are changes/cancellations or if requesting refunds
- Obtain all proper documentation for each expense
- Ensure reimbursement is prepared and submitted with appropriate receipts in a timely
- Travel coordinator (arranger or delegate) ‐ An individual other than the traveler who prepares travel documents on behalf of
a traveler and assists with travel reservations and payment of expenses
- Understand travel regulations and provide guidance to traveler
- Prepare and/or ensure supporting documentation substantiates business purpose
- Aware of fiscal procedures and the accounting manual
- Should not arrange travel that is not related to business
- Authorized Travel approver (or approving official) ‐ Individual who is authorized to approve travel and time away from workstation.
May also be the individual authorized to expend funds.
- Verify expense is charged to the proper accounts
- Ensure validity of business need for travel
- Responsible for approving ‘audit flags’ in the travel and expense management system.
Examples are high dollar amount, missing fields, policy violations
- Travel auditor (central finance office function) ‐ Individual responsible for reviewing expense reports for compliance with travel
regulation and procedures
- Authority to allow, reduce, or disallow reimbursements per these regulations
- Travel administrator
- Individual designated by the chief financial officer (university and Statewide Administration)
as the individual responsible for administration of the travel policies and procedures
for each major administrative unit.
- Circumstances outside of travel regulation may require the travel administrator approval.
This supplemental approval process provides these senior officers with the ability
to approve specific common policy exceptions.