Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for complying with department and university policies and regulations, and for exercising good stewardship of university funds.
- Obtain prior authorization for travel.
- Select the lowest‐price fare/cost within the bounds of the most efficient mode.
- Pay costs and any additional expenses incurred for personal preference or convenience.
- Verify that all travel arrangements are confirmed prior to departure.
- Notify appropriate contact when there are changes/cancellations or if requesting refunds.
- Obtain all proper documentation for each expense.
- Ensure reimbursement is prepared and submitted with appropriate receipts in a timely manner.
- Travel coordinator (arranger or delegate) ‐ An individual other than the traveler
who prepares travel documents on behalf of a traveler and assists with travel reservations
and payment of expenses.
- Understand travel regulations and provide guidance to traveler.
- Prepare and/or ensure supporting documentation substantiates business purpose.
- Aware of fiscal procedures and the accounting manual.
- Should not arrange travel that is not related to business.
- Authorized Travel approver (or approving official) ‐ Individual who is authorized
to approve travel and time away from workstation. May also be the individual authorized
to expend funds.
- Verify expense is charged to the proper accounts.
- Ensure validity of business need for travel.
- Responsible for approving ‘audit flags’ in the travel and expense management system. Examples are high dollar amount, missing fields, policy violations.
- Travel auditor (central finance office function) - The individual responsible for
reviewing expense reports for compliance with travel regulation and procedures.
- Authority to allow, reduce, or disallow reimbursements per these regulations.
- Travel administrator - The Individual designated by the chief financial officer of
each university and statewide as the individual responsible for administration of
the travel policies and procedures for each major administrative unit.
- Circumstances not addressed in these travel regulaitons are reviewed by the travel administrator for a final determindation.
To give a delegate this access the traveler needs to check the “Can Submit Requests” box in the delegate settings from the traveler’s profile:
Profile Settings > Request Settings (or Expense Settings) > Request Delegates (or Expense Delegates) > Delegate tab