Description: 1930 Yukon Drive
Completed in 1994, the Reichardt Building on Yukon Drive, originally named the Natural Sciences Facility, was the first new classroom building built on the Fairbanks campus since the Gruening Building was constructed in 1971. The three-story 117,435-square-foot steel-frame structure was opened for classes in September 1995. Although it was partially in use during the spring of 1995, due to lack of funding it did not open to full capacity until the fall of 1995.
The Alaska Legislature approved the first $23 million for the facility in 1991, and approved expenditure of the remaining $4.5 million in 1995 and 1996.
The Reichardt Building houses departmental offices for the College of Natural Science and Mathematics as well as the departments of chemistry, geology and geophysics, and physics. The building features large lecture halls, classrooms, state-of-the-art laboratories, equipment storage, offices and research space. It also houses a geochronology laboratory as well as the Noyes Physics Student Computer Lab, which exists thanks to an endowment from the Noyes family.
Fume hoods in the building’s laboratories use energy management systems to warn users when hoods are open too long; waste heat from hoods is used to warm water coils that heat incoming fresh air. High efficiency Argon gas-filled windows keep warm air in and cold air out.
Construction of an underground heating and plumbing utilidor running from the Reichardt Building to the West Ridge plaza took place in the summer of 2002.
University Relations files; Facilities Services Web page, 2002-03 Construction Overview; UAF Directory 2001-2002; UAF News Release June 6, 2007
Notable People: Paul Reichardt