Skip to main content
Faculty Initiative Fund
FY19 Faculty Initiative Fund Awardees
Tier I Proposal Awards:
- Getu Hailu – Innovative Solutions for Sensible Thermal Storage Systems in Cold Climates
- Diane Hirshberg – The Role of Education in Supporting Self-Determined Sustainable
Development in Alaska - $90,000
- Nicole Misarti – Solving a growing problem in marine carbon stable isotope research
Tier II Proposal Awards:
- Matthew Wooller – Tracking the foot-steps of an ancient mammoth in Alaska: A project
promoting inter-university state-of-the-art and innovative research - $30,000
- Yin Zhang – Polymer-Alternating-Solvent Injection: A New Enhanced Oil Recovery Method
for Alaska North Slope Heavy Oils - $29,969
- Yongwon Kim – Significance of non-growing season CO2 emission in tundra and boreal
forest soils of Alaska - $19,000
- Sonia Nagorski – Novel investigation into the magnitude of plastic pollution in coastal
southeast Alaska - $18,000
- Hattie Harvey – Project SAID: Serving Alaska’s Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities:
An Inter-University and Community Collaboration - $29,000
- Angela Bowers – Integrating Macro-algae Culture into Alaska Salmon Enhancement Aquaculture:
A Resource for Teaching with Ecological and Economical Benefits for Alaska - $25,300
- Jingqiu Mao – Rural Alaska Air Quality with Big Data Analysis - $30,000
- Derek Sikes – Creation of a DNA Barcode Library for Alaska’s Freshwater Aquatic Arthropods
to Facilitate Research and Education - $29,451
Tier III Proposal Awards:
- William Howard – Development of Two Types of Platinum-Based Drugs for Destroying Human
Leukemia Cells - $10,000
- Herminia Din – Our Plastic Ocean vs. Our Clean Ocean - $9,750
- Kevin Berry – Risky Business: Implications of Decisions Under Uncertainty for Environmental
Policy - $9,535
- Scott Goddard – The mega-analysis of sequential experimental data in engineering research
- Han Donker – What are the Corporate Values of Alaska Native Businesses? - $9,400
FY18 Faculty Initiative Fund Awards
- Dr. Brandon Briggs,et al:"Advancing Microbial Resources for Mining Alaskan Critical Elements"
- Dr. Jaunelle Celaire, et al: "An Evening of Mozart"
- Dr. Scott Christian, et al: "Culturally Responsive Professional Schools for Alaska"
- Dr. Jason Fellman, et al: "Quantifying hydrologically-driven lateral carbon fluxes
in Alaska’s coastal temperate rainforest "
- Dr. Micah Hahn, et al: "Development of the Municipality of Anchorage Climate Action
Plan through a Campus-Community Partnership"
- Dr. Anayansi Lombardero: "Addressing Insomnia in an Effort to Prevent and Reduce Cardiovascular
Disease Risk Among Alaska Natives"
- Dr. Sarah Stanley, et al: "Learning Across, Inside, and Out: Mobilizing State and
Community Learning Networks From the Prison to the University"
- Dr. Charlene Stern, et al: "Strengthening Inter-university Indigenous Scholarship
and Alaska Native Student Success at the University of Alaska"