After Travel

The Concur Expense module is used to manage expenses, receipts and expense reports. The Expense Report is the official document for approving travel costs and dates associated with an authorized trip. It provides final documentation of the trip as it happens including detailed itemization of costs and modifications made after the Request is approved. 

An Expense Report is required to reconcile any charges or refunds to the agency card held by CTM and the UA travel card held by employees. You should submit your Report within 15 business days of trip completion. Except for local mileage, travel reimbursements are only issued through a Report in Concur.

Reimbursements requested more than 90 days after the completion of the trip fall outside the reasonable time-frame for IRS accountable plans. Therefore, reimbursements from applicable Reports are taxable income and reported on an employee’s Form W-2.

  1. Open the Concur Request module
  2. Click the “Expense” link under the Action column for the trip's Travel Request
    1. Use the "View" drop-down menu to change the filter if your Request is not listed under your "Active Requests"
    2. Use the search fields to find your Request
  3. Verify the Header information from the Request is still accurate and click "Next"
    1. The information auto-populates from the Request Header
    2. Make any corrections based on changes since original trip approval
  4. Answer “Yes” to the per diem question if this is the first Expense Report for the completed trip even if you are not claiming per diem reimbursement (the Travel Allowance itinerary is the official documentation of your time in travel status)
  5. Enter your Travel Allowance information based on the business-only itinerary and create per diem expenses if needed
  6. Add UA paid and reimbursable out-of-pocket expenses from the trip
    1. Itemize expenses as needed
    2. Allocate expenses as needed
  7. Attach receipts and other pertinent or required documentation
    1. You can attach receipts to the Report at any approval stage
    2. Itemized receipts are required for all expenses except “Per Diem Offset Meal” or “Personal/Non Reimbursable”
  8. Verify all information is complete and correct then click “Submit Report” (top right-hand corner)
    1. View the Report totals from the "Details" drop-down menu
    2. "Amount Due Employee" = Reimbursement UA owes you (if any)
  9. Concur evaluates the Report according to audit rules defined by UA regulations and guidance
    1. If no hard-stop exceptions are present, the Report is submitted for approval
    2. If hard-stop exceptions are present
      1. The Report is not submitted, and Concur provides information on and recommended resolution for the exceptions
      2. Make the required corrections and click “Submit Report” again to re-evaluate the audit flags
  10. Depending on your email notification settings, you receive an email notification of Report submission, return and/or approval
  11. Once approved for payment, the Report moves off your "Active Reports" list and is stored in your "Report Library"

All Expense Reports for completed trips should include a Travel Allowance itinerary. The Travel Allowance defines your time in travel status, applies the meal & incidental expenses (M&IE) allowance and determines the allowable lodging rate. The latter two purposes are why a Travel Allowance is required for all trips with lodging and/or meal expenses.

The allowable rate for your first day of travel is based on the GSA listed rate for the city where you lodged. The allowance for your last day is based on the rate for the last city you lodged.

If no travel commenced, a Travel Allowance is not entered. For example, Reports to reconcile expenses from a canceled trip or accidental card charges. Do not enter a Travel Allowance if you were not in travel status.

  1. The Travel Allowance is prompted when you create an Expense Report
    1. Answering “Yes” to “Does this trip contain ‘Per Diem Meals’?” initiates the Travel Allowance
    2. If the Report is already created, you can assign the Travel Allowance from the "Details" drop-down menu
  2. In "Create New Itinerary," enter the outbound and return itinerary information (start and end locations, dates and times)
    1. Click "Save" after entering each leg
    2. Use the time you departed from or returned to your home/duty station
    3. If your trip includes personal time, enter the business-only itinerary from the cost comparison
    4. Anytime flights cross date lines, the layovers are excluded unless you stopped and lodged there for the night
  3. Once the itinerary is complete, click "Next"
  4. Verify the itinerary is correct in "Available Itineraries" and click “Next”
  5. In "Expenses & Adjustments," review M&IE allowances and click “Create Expenses” to assign the Travel Allowance to your Report
    1. Concur calculates the business location GSA rate and displays the daily allowable M&IE in "Expenses & Adjustments"
    2. You can exclude provided meals, full days or all per diem by checking the associated boxes
    3. The "Allowance" column provides total daily M&IE after deducting provided meals or excluded days
  6. “Daily Per Diem” based on the Travel Allowance generates as expenses on your Report
  7. Access the Travel Allowance from the "Details" drop-down menu to edit or unassign the information
    1. Only unsubmitted Reports are changeable
    2. Click "Update Expenses" on the "Expenses & Adjustments" tab to recalculate M&IE allowances
    3. The “Daily Per Diem” expense is not editable in the "Expenses" section of the Report

Some expenses require itemization to separate “child” expense types from the “parent.” This is primarily used for lodging expenses as they contain nightly charges for the lodging rate, taxes and fees. However, the itemization process is also used when the expense includes personal portions or when multiple expense types apply to a single charge.

Note: Transaction date, amount, expense type and additional information are adjustable on an individual “child” itemization even for agency and travel card charges

  1. Add the lodging expense and click "Itemize"
  2. The "Nightly Lodging Expenses" tab activates
    1. Use the calendar to select your check-in and check-out dates (number of nights auto-calculates)
    2. Enter the room rate, taxes and other recurring charges
      1. Enter the average nightly rate in the charged currency
      2. Do not worry if there are different rates for different nights – entering the average is fine
      3. Do not worry if the total cost does not divide evenly – individual itemization amounts are adjustable once "Nightly Lodging Expenses" is saved
  3. Concur calculates and provides any remaining amount unaccounted for through itemizing
    1. Correct the costs in the "Nightly Lodging Expenses tab"
    2. Add a one-time charge itemization(s)
  4. “Child” expenses are itemized under the “parent” expense

Travelers may coordinate personal travel arrangements in conjunction with their UA business travel. This includes personal extended stays at the business location and personal deviations to a non-business location.

You must identify on the Expense Report personal days taken in conjunction with UA business travel. For this reason, the Report Header includes a section for documenting your personal days. Remember to update the Report Header if personal time was added to or removed from your approved Travel Request.

Expenses accrued during or because of personal days are not reimbursable. The Travel Allowance must reflect the business-only itinerary from the cost comparison/past fare quote to accurately calculate business-only per diem allowances. Expenses paid on the agency or travel card must reflect the correct expense type. Out-of-pocket expenses must reflect only those incurred for the business purposes of the trip.

Agency/Travel Card

Personal expenses paid on the agency or travel card are deducted from your total reimbursable amount. If your personal expenses exceed your reimbursable amount, a payroll deduction is used to recoup the additional amount from employees. Please work with your department to directly reimburse UA if you are no longer an employee.

Personal expenses paid on the agency or travel card during travel are documented as expense type “Personal/Non Reimbursable,” even if a different expense type would apply if it were a business expense. If the expense is only partially personal, use the "Itemize" feature to separate the business from the personal portion.


The Expense Report is used to document UA paid expenses. Personal expenses paid out-of-pocket are excluded from your Report unless the expense is only partially personal. In which case, only the business portion is documented or the "Itemize" feature is used to separate the business from personal portion.

Past Fare Quote

If a cost comparison is not obtained from the Concur Travel booking tool prior to your trip, you must work with CTM to obtain a "past fare quote." A delegate may obtain this documentation on your behalf, but the cost of this service is your responsibility. 

Send an email to or call CTM at 907-786-0107 to request a past fare quote for the authorized Travel Request. Include the following information in the email:

  • Body:
    • Profile name (UOFA)
    • Name of traveler
    • Dates, times and destinations of authorized business travel (NOT the personal itinerary)
    • Date trip was authorized (this provides the agent with any advance purchase information)
    • Originally approved Request ID

CTM will either charge the agency card the full touch fee of $18.00 or your personal credit card if provided over the phone. If CTM charges the agency card, then your Expense Report must include the expense documented as expense type “Personal/Non Reimbursable.”

Additional Resources

The training library contains videos, downloadable guides and additional information including how to allocate expenses, reconcile a travel advance and enter personal car mileage.