Beware phishing emails
In recent weeks, we have seen an increase in “phishing” emails. These messages try to trick you into taking an action that would compromise the safety and security of our systems -- usually by opening an attachment or clicking a link. These malicious attempts are one of our foremost security concerns. As a reminder, always remain vigilant when opening emails. Here are some helpful tips:
- Check the sender’s email address. Bad actors try to mimic the email address of the organization they are pretending to represent. Sometimes the email comes from a person you may know or with whom you work.
- Look for @alaska.edu in the email address. The UA email system supports university students and employees, external patrons, alumni, as well as general departmental functions. Employees are required to use this system to conduct University of Alaska business. University employees and students should take no action based on decisions or directions communicated to them from non-university email accounts.
- Avoid sharing personal information over email. Bad actors often ask for personal information in the email. Always call the individual to confirm before providing any bank account or other personal information.
- Be wary of emails that contain misspellings or grammatical errors in the message. Poor spelling is an obvious sign that an email does not come from a legitimate source.
- Do not click on links or suspicious attachments within emails. If you’re unsure, call the sender and verify the attachment is expected. Beware of instructions that ask you to enter in your credentials. UA IT staff will never ask for your IT credentials.
- Be suspicious of emails that prompt you to act urgently or include a time-specific range.
The university offers training on MyUA on phishing emails through the Security Matters program. Learn more at: https://www.alaska.edu/securitymatters/training/index.php
As always, if you suspect that you have been the victim of a phishing email, contact a UA IT help desk:
UAA Technical Support Center
UAF OIT Service Desk