Need to borrow a computer? Here are some options.
If you need a computer or a mobile hotspot to use while working from a remote location, OIT has a limited number of Chromebooks and MiFi devices available for loan to UA affiliates on a case-by-case basis during the change of university operations due to COVID-19.
In order to qualify for a Chromebook, the following conditions need to be met:
- You must have current Student, Faculty, or Staff status with the University of Alaska.
- You must have a demonstrated need; such that you do not have an existing functional personal or UA-provided computing device.
- You must agree to report a lost or stolen Chromebook to OIT as soon as possible. This may help us recover the device.
If you are a Student, you will be held responsible for the total cost of replacement for a lost/stolen Chromebook. The cost is $300.
In order to qualify for a Mobile Hotspot, the following conditions need to be met:
- 1mpbs or slower per person living in the residence who use the internet and your need is for general coursework, and audio-only conferencing for remote courses.
- 3mpbs or slower per person living in the residence who use the internet, and your need is for web-conferencing with the explicit course-requirement for video conferencing for remote courses.
- Users who have no Hotspot on their mobile device.
- Attest that you do not have sufficient internet available at your residence
- Attest that you have explored options with local Internet and Cellular Service Providers to determine that sufficient internet or cellular service is not available to be installed or upgraded at your residence.
- Attest that you do not have access to a sufficient mobile hotspot service from your mobile phone.
- Attest that the device is university property and needs to be returned when no longer needed.
- Attest that you will not transfer the device to another user.