Optimize your remote experience
OIT has compiled a list of best practices for working remotely to ensure continued work productivity.
- Ensure that all other applications are closed, where possible
- Ensure any other nearby devices that might be using network resources are disabled or turned off
- Plan to work in audio mode, unless screen sharing is absolutely necessary to make a point.
- If screen sharing is necessary, share a non-maximized single window, rather than an entire desktop view. This reduces overall bandwidth consumption.
Web Conferencing (Zoom, Google Hangouts/Meet,...)
- To conserve bandwidth, mute your video. Audio almost always passes.
- Make sure you are limiting the bandwidth use in your space. Turn off streaming services like Netflix and Spotify, minimize apps and tabs open on your computer, etc.
- If you are unable to get through the phone number to your Zoom meeting, download the Zoom app on your phone and join audio-only.
- When choosing a space make sure your lighting is overhead and you are not backlit, this causes a shadow on your face and makes you difficult to see.
- Use a headset whenever possible. This removes lots of excess noise.
- Only log into VPN for applications that require the use of a VPN connection for access or if you are joining from a non-password protected, open wireless network. To ensure adequate VPN availability, please only connect to the VPN when using a service that requires VPN and be sure to disconnect from the VPN when you are no longer using that service.
Recommended bandwidth for meetings:
- For 1:1 video calling:
- 600kbps (up/down) for high quality video
- 1.2 Mbps (up/down) for 720p HD video
- Receiving 1080p HD video requires 1.8 Mbps (up/down)
- Sending 1080p HD video requires 1.8 Mbps (up/down)
- For group video calling:
- 800kbps/1.0Mbps (up/down) for high quality video
- For gallery view and/or 720p HD video: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down)
- Receiving 1080p HD video requires 2.5mbps (up/down)
- Sending 1080p HD video requires 3.0 Mbps (up/down)
- For screen sharing only (no video thumbnail): 50-75kbps
- For screen sharing with video thumbnail: 50-150kbps
- For audio VoiP: 60-80kbps
- For Zoom Phone: 60-100kbps