Transformation: See the Change
The May 13 presentation to the Board of Regents Audit Committee revealed a larger than anticipated budget gap, and a short time frame in which to provide options for solutions. In partnership with the chancellors and governance leaders, we have been working to develop a set of options for meeting the budget challenge while putting the well-being of students, staff and faculty first.
It’s important that you contribute your thoughts and ideas, and participate in creating a solution for meeting the education, service and research needs of our students, our communities and our state while making the necessary budget reductions.
Together we will chart a clear path forward, solve our budget issues, maintain our financial strength, and come out of this challenging time stronger than ever.
Learn more in our FAQ on Transformative Options.
Solutions under consideration:
"I do not plan to make recommendations on these options to the Board during its meeting, June 4-5. Rather, I will present the results of our preliminary reviews and take direction from the Board on any further consideration." - President Jim Johnsen, May 21, 2020
- Amended Motion on Transformation Options - Approved 7-4, June 4, Board of Regents
- Report on Preliminary Review of Options for University Transformation (PDF) - BOR June 4-5, 2020
- Comments on BOR structural options for “UA Transformation” (PDF) - May, 27, 2020 UAS Chancellor Rick Caulfield
- FY21 and FY22 Budget Discussion (PDF) – BOR June 4-5, 2020
- Options for Review (JPEG) - May 20, 2020
- Options for University Transformation – Preliminary Review Process (PDF) - May 20, 2020 (will be updated)
- President Johnsen Press Briefing (Zoom recording) (Access: 9Q*@DD0+) - May 28, 2020
- Update on budget and preliminary review process - May 29, 2020
- Options outlined for BOR consideration - All UA message from President Johnsen, May 21, 2020
- Ask Me Anything- Transformative Structural Options - UAA Chancellor Cathy Sandeen
- Budget update: May 20 - UAF Chancellor Daniel White
- Budget update: May 14 - UAF Chancellor Daniel White
- Important Budget Message from the Chancellor - May 29, 2020, UAS Chancellor Rick Caulfield
Board of Regents Public Testimony:
Additional opportunities TBD
- May 26, 2020 - 4-6 p.m. Audio: Call 1-866-726-0757
- June 2, 2020 - 4-6 p.m. Audio: Call 1-866-726-0757
- Provide written testimony anytime by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Process for Solution Development:
- May 14,19, 22, 26: Executive Council - planning
- Ongoing: Chancellor discussions with their communities
- May 21: Business Council, Academic Council engaged to evaluate options
- May 29: Finalize 1st BOR presentation
- May 14 - 16 -- governance leaders asked for input on possible solutions
- May 20-28 - Chancellors engage with their governance leaders/solicit feedback on solutions and BOR presentation. Meet with individual chancellors to discuss options. Governance representatives on each council to participate and provide feedback.
- May 21: System Governance Council
Board of Regents Full Board Meetings:
- June 4-5