BLaST is excited to see work published by any of our researchers. However, we need to follow publication guidelines under the NIH.
- UAF AA/EEO and non-discrimination statement must also be added to the NIH statement: "BLaST is supported by the NIH with the linked awards; TL4GM118992, RL5GM118990, UL1GM118991. UA is an AA/EEO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/titleIXcompliance/nondiscrimination"
- BLaST Logo
- CNSM logo or UAF logo (must not be smaller than 1/2 inch)
- Diversity Programs Consortium logo
- Word copy of all logos, acknowledgements HERE
1) Address Copyright
2) Deposit Paper Upon Acceptance for Publication
- Method A : Publish in a journal that deposits all NIH-funded final published articles in PMC without author involvement.
- Method B : Make arrangements to have a publisher deposit a specific final published article in PMC. See also Information for Publishers.
- Method C : Deposit the final peer-reviewed manuscript in PMC yourself via the NIH Manuscript Submission System (NIHMS) or visit their FAQs to start the process.
- Method D : Complete the submission process for a final peer-reviewed manuscript that the publisher has deposited via the NIHMS.
3) Cite Article
Include the PMC number (PMCID) for applicable papers in applications, proposals and reports, as described at http://publicaccess.nih.gov/citation_methods.htm. For further information on Submission options, see How Papers get into PMC. Also, access the full users guide on NIH PMC for any further clarifications. A Step-by-step tutorial process is also available.
Visit NIH Public Access for full access policy, or contact Amy Topkok at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
As we are in our approaching our fith year of our five year grant, we are excited to see more publications in journals. Here are a few below. Way to go!
Jerome, S. P., Sticka, K. D., Schnurr, T. M., Mangum, S. J., Reynolds, A. J., & Dunlap, K. L. (2017). 25(OH)D levels in trained versus sedentary university students at 64° north. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 76(1), 1314414. http://doi.org/10.1080/22423982.2017.1314414
Goldsmith EW, Renshaw B, Clement CJ, Himschoot EA, Hundertmark KJ, Hueffer K. 2016 Feb. Population structure of two rabies hosts relative to the known distribution of rabies virus variants in Alaska. Mol Ecol. Vol. 25(3):675-88. doi: 10.1111/mec.13509. PubMed PMID: 26661691; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4738172.
Coker RH, Weaver AN, Coker MS, Murphy CJ, Gunga HC, Steinach M. 2017 Feb. Metabolic Responses to the Yukon Arctic Ultra: Longest and Coldest in the World. Med Sci Sports Exerc. Vol. 49(2):357-362. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001095. PubMed PMID: 27669446; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5491706.
Podlutsky A, Valcarcel-Ares MN, Yancey K (U), Podlutskaya V, Nagykaldi E, Gautam T, Miller RA, Sonntag WE, Csiszar A, Ungvari Z. 2017 Apr. The GH/IGF-1 axis in a critical period early in life determines cellular DNA repair capacity by altering transcriptional regulation of DNA repair-related genes: implications for the developmental origins of cancer. Geroscience. Vol. 39(2):147-160. doi: 10.1007/s11357-017-9966-x. PubMed PMID: 28233247; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5411369.
Hansen CM, Himschoot EA, Hare RF, Meixell BW, Hemert CV, Hueffer K. 2017 May. Neisseria arctica sp. nov., isolated from nonviable eggs of greater white-fronted geese (Anser albifrons) in Arctic Alaska. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. Vol. 67(5):1115-1119. doi: 10.1099/ijsem.0.001773. PubMed PMID: 28056218; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5775901.
Raven Shaw, a previous Fall 2016 - Spring 2017, and Summer 2017 Undergraduate Research Experience (URE) student and a 2017-2018 Scholar, has been working with the tribal organization Sitka Tribe of Alaska (STA) and the Southeast Alaska Tribal Oceanic Research (SEATOR) Center informing the public in Southeast Alaska on the dangers of Harmful Algae Blooms (HABs). Please see this plankton identifying booklet that was illustrated by Raven, working with Esther Kennedy, the environmental specialist at STA.
Informal Guide to Plankton ID Booklet (11 pages)
Check out our BLaST Arctic Newsletters! Pack full of information on BLaST funded undergraduates, graduates, and faculty and staff. For any questions, please contact Amy Topkok at email@example.com or ph. 1-907-474-2403.
(no January to April 2018 issues due to reporting)