William A. O'Neill Resources Building
Description: 905 Koyukuk Drive
The five-story William A. O’Neill Resources Building opened in 1973 on the West Ridge to house the Institute of Marine Science. The 41,000-square-foot O’Neill Building was designed for offices and laboratories on three levels with mechanical services on the other two. A system of movable walls allows easy adaptation of the interior. O’Neill was dedicated May 17, 1975.
In addition to the Institute of Marine Science, the building originally housed the Department of Land Resources and Agricultural Science, the Forest Soils Laboratory and the Mineral Industry Research Laboratory. It currently houses the School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, as well as offices and staff for other units such as IMS and SNRAS. The main offices for IMS are located in Irving II.
Renovations and upgrades of the O’Neill Building began in June 2002. Work included lead and asbestos abatement, installation of new casework and fume hoods, improved lighting and installation of a computer lab.
“William A. O’Neill (1907-1974)” Alaska Alumnus Fall, 1974; “William A. O’Neill Resources Building Dedication” program, Facilities Services Web page, 2002-03 Construction Overview